Blog Post #5

Overall, I have found AI to be a useful tool for searching information, but I approach it differently than I do with Google. When using Google, I typically search for straightforward answers or a selection of possibilities. With AI, I provide more context or a detailed prompt, and in return, it generates tailored responses or multiple solutions. As someone who generally dislikes technology, I hesitate to call AI beneficial, but I can acknowledge its usefulness when applied properly.  

For example, I recently asked ChatGPT for recommendations on places to move after graduation by giving it a list of specific requirements. It quickly narrowed down my options, saving me time that I would have otherwise spent sorting through countless search results. While this convenience is appealing, I do worry about the long-term effects of relying on AI. I could have done my own research and evaluated locations individually, but instead, I opted for an easier, more automated approach. Over time, I think this type of dependence on AI will lead to a decline in effort and creativity, making us more passive in how we engage with information.  


Despite its advantages, I would never fully replace traditional search engines with AI. I prefer having multiple sources to verify information rather than relying on a generalization of them. Knowing where your information comes from and cross-referencing different perspectives is essential, and AI falls short in this regard. However, for situations that don’t require specificity, multiple options, or direct sources, AI can be a helpful tool for gaining a general understanding and solving complex problems more efficiently.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blog Post #2

Blog Post #4