Blog Post #2

    Throughout my schooling, I frequently used MS Word for various writing assignments, typically in Times New Roman 12-point font with the occasional double spacing—especially when teachers required printed copies to leave room for handwritten feedback. As the years progressed, we transitioned to digital submissions, which initially led me to prefer Google Docs since my personal computer didn’t have Microsoft Word and my school didn’t provide it at the time. I found Google Docs more accessible, especially since it was browser-based and easy to navigate. However, after gaining access to Microsoft Word through FSU, I’ve come to appreciate its robust customization features. I’ve also encountered compatibility issues when converting Google Docs to Word, so I now prefer to stick with a single, universally accepted platform for consistency and ease.

    I find all the ISTE standards for educators valuable, but the one that resonates most with me is “Collaborator.” While “Learner” stood out initially, emphasizing the importance of continual growth in an evolving world, and “Designer” highlighted the necessity of creativity and adaptability in teaching, “Collaborator” is the one I connect with most deeply. Reflecting on my education, the teachers and professors who truly engaged me were those who fostered meaningful relationships with their students. Unfortunately, the rigid structure of state requirements and standardized testing can make some classrooms feel robotic, reducing learning to a transactional experience. However, in the classes where teachers made an effort to connect - sharing personal insights, fostering discussions, and valuing students’ perspectives - I found myself more engaged and able to think critically beyond just memorizing information. To me, the most effective educators are those who recognize that both teachers and students are human, learning from one another in a shared space.

    While I don’t disagree with the term “digital native” in the sense that today’s youth have grown up immersed in technology, I don’t fully subscribe to the stereotype that digital natives inherently possess greater digital literacy or fluency. In my experience, technological proficiency varies widely depending on upbringing and personal interests. For example, I spent much of my childhood shrimping and working in my dad’s woodshop, while my neighbors preferred hoverboarding and playing Pokémon Go. Even though technology was always present, I never felt particularly drawn to it, and to this day, I hesitate to engage with the digital world. At 21, I sometimes feel out of place when colleagues ask for my Instagram, and I have to admit that I only use Facebook and Pinterest. Despite being part of a generation that grew up with technology, I still struggle with it, often turning to my parents, who were born in the 1960s, for help. That alone challenges the assumption that digital natives are always more tech-savvy than digital immigrants. However, I do see a stark contrast between my generation and today’s children. While teaching sculpture at a K-8 school in Tallahassee, I noticed that students with unrestricted internet access had a harder time grasping the physical aspects of sculpture. There was a clear difference between children who had their own phones and those who didn’t, as well as between those who were heavily impacted by screen time during the pandemic. It concerns me that today’s youth may struggle to appreciate the tangible, non-digital world or develop strong interpersonal skills. While they may have digital intuition, I worry that their ability to connect with others, especially educators, could suffer as they become more immersed in technology.


Comments

  1. Hi Sylla!
    I appreciate your perspective about preferring Google Docs over Microsoft Word, especially when referring to its convenience. All throughout high school, I was provided with access to Microsoft Word, so the fact that Google Docs is browser-based deterred me away from it. It is interesting to see how, after you gained access to Microsoft Word, your opinion shifted. I wonder if you were never given this opportunity through FSU, if you would have ever explored outside Google Docs on your own. Additionally, I also prefer the "Collaborator" standard and the way it encourages connections between teachers and students. I find this to be a very crucial factor in students' educational experiences, leaving a significantly more positive impact than negative.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Blog Post #4

Blog Post #5